Author of ‘How to Murder Your Husband’ arrested for allegedly killing her husband
Life has apparently imitated art for one romance writer.
In a twist of irony so devious it would have turned Agatha Christie green with envy, Oregon chef Daniel Brophy was found shot to death nearly seven years after his wife of 27 years penned an essay titled “How to Murder Your Husband.”
Nancy Crampton-Brophy, the writer of sensuous mysteries such as “Hell on the Heart” and “The Wrong Husband,” was arrested for murder on Sept. 5 — more than three months after the death of her spouse.
“Dan was one of the very few people I’ve known that knew exactly what he wanted in life and loved doing it,” she said at a candlelight vigil two days after Daniel’s demise.
Oregon cops were mum on arrest details such as why Crampton-Brophy, 68, was taken into custody only last week for the June 2 shooting.
“Detectives believe Nancy L. Crampton-Brophy is the suspect in Daniel C. Brophy’s murder,” said Portland police, who refused to discuss motive or evidence.
Daniel Brophy, 63, who was found dead in the Oregon Culinary Institute in Portland, had worked there as a chef for over 10 years.
Relatives were stunned by the news, and the author’s sister is convinced Nancy is innocent.
“None of us believe it,” said Holly Crampton. “It’s craziness and it’s just not true,” she stated to ABC News.
A neighbor of the Brophys from Beaverton, Ore., recalled the writer saying she might move to escape her old life.
“She said that his side of the bedroom was haunting her,” Heidi Hutchinson told People.
Crampton-Brophy remains jailed for unlawful use of a weapon and murder.
— New York Daily News
He killed 4 Florida tourists in a wreck. His punishment: traffic school, license suspension
MIAMI — Carlos Manso Blanco was speeding slightly when he barreled his truck into a rental car on the Overseas Highway in Islamorada, killing four Spanish tourists in a grisly wreck that drew international media attention.
He won’t be going to jail. Instead, his punishment was traffic school and the suspension of his driver’s license for six months.
Investigators have decided that Manso’s driving that March afternoon was “careless,” but not reckless — not enough to warrant a vehicular manslaughter charge under state law. Blood tests showed he was not under the influence of alcohol or drugs. And while Manso was going only about 5 mph above the 55-mph speed limit, there was no witness or evidence showing he was swerving or texting while driving.
Monroe County Assistant State Attorney Gail Connolly on Tuesday called the crash “horrific” but said there was simply not enough evidence to show the case was anything more than a tragic accident.
“We have to prove the case beyond a reasonable doubt,” Connolly said. “We have to have evidence, not just speculation.”
A lawyer representing Manso, 30, of Marathon, did not return a phone call or an email seeking comment Tuesday.
The decision has not sat well with relatives of the dead Spanish women, all of them attorneys, who are now suing Manso and the company that owned the truck he was driving.
— Miami Herald
FDA cracks down on e-cigarette makers amid ‘epidemic of nicotine addiction’ among youth
Responding to an “epidemic of nicotine addiction” among young Americans, the U.S. Food and Drug Administration on Wednesday announced a comprehensive crackdown on e-cigarette manufacturers, directing the industry’s giants to draw up detailed plans for halting sales to minors and threatening to pull a wide range of products, including flavorings that appeal to underage buyers, from an exploding market.
FDA Commissioner Scott Gottlieb called the agency’s steps the largest coordinated enforcement effort in his agency’s history and said it was prompted by alarming new evidence that e-cigarette use by minors has risen to levels he called “simply not tolerable.”
In response to a nationwide undercover investigation of brick-and-mortar and online stores over the summer, the FDA levied civil fines on e-cigarette retailers found to have sold their products to minors and issued more than 1,300 warning letters.
What’s more, Gottlieb said the vaping industry appears to have turned a blind eye to the online practice of “straw purchasing” by retailers and individuals intent on buying vaping products and reselling them to minors.
The agency also ordered 12 online retailers to halt their continued marketing of e-liquids resembling kid-friendly food products such as candy and cookies. Although the FDA had acted in May to limit the sale of such products, they were still being offered, with the offending labeling and advertising, by the 12 online retailers, several of whom were also cited for sales to minors.
The FDA move was greeted with defiance and derision from the vaping industry.
— Los Angeles Times