Harvey Weinstein on Thursday sued his namesake company for documents — including emails and his personnel file — that he says can be used to defend himself and the studio he co-founded.
Weinstein Co.’s board fired the movie mogul Oct. 8 after an article in The New York Times exposed decades of sexual harassment allegations against him.
In a complaint filed in Delaware Chancery Court, Weinstein’s attorneys said having access to the documents will allow him to defend himself against allegations and lawsuits from alleged victims.
The New York attorney general’s office has opened a civil rights investigation into the company, and one actress has sued the studio for negligence, claiming executives knew about Weinstein’s conduct.
Weinstein owns 23 percent of the New York-based film and television company, which is looking for a buyer as it struggles financially.
“Mr.Weinstein believes that his email account — which is the primary, if not only, account he used during the term of his employment by the Company — will contain information exonerating him, and therefore the Company, from claims that may be asserted against him or the Company,” the attorneys.
More than 50 women have accused Weinstein of sexual misconduct, including harassment and rape. The allegations have exposed Weinstein and his company to potentially serious legal liability.
Weinstein has denied all allegations that he engaged in nonconsensual sex.
—Los Angeles Times
Cop tried to teach boys gun safety. It backfired.
A Plantation, Fla., police officer accidentally tasered a 10-year-old boy right after telling him and his brother that the stun gun was not a toy to play with.
The child received only minor injuries, although if the probes had penetrated further into his skin, he would have collapsed and been “incapacitated until the Taser stopped emitting the electrical charge,” investigators said.
Officer Iris Stan was staying with a friend and her two sons after being displaced by Hurricane Irma. On Sept. 14, while still in uniform, she decided to discuss gun safety because her bedroom door didn’t lock and there were children in the house, police said.
As they stood together in a circle, she told them the gun was dangerous and shouldn’t be touched. Then she removed her Taser from her duty belt and accidentally pulled the trigger, according to records. She later told investigators she had no idea how it got turned on.
It fired two probes, striking one of the boys in his right leg, both above and below his knee, according to Internal Affairs documents released Wednesday.
“My brother dropped, he ran around the bed, dropped on top of the bed and started jumping up and down,” the boy’s brother, age 13, told investigators.
The boy’s mother told investigators: “It was a total accident.”
Stan, who was hired in January, could not be reached for comment.
Venezuelan state cancels election of dissident governor
CARACAS, Venezuela — A Venezuelan regional legislature on Thursday canceled the election of an opposition governor who refused to be sworn in by the disputed Constituent Assembly.
The legislative council of the northwest state of Zulia said it was leaving without effect the election of Juan Pablo Guanipa, who won the Oct. 15 regional elections, but said he would not “kneel” before the Constituent Assembly.
The rest of the 23 newly elected governors were sworn in on Monday.
They included four opposition governors, despite the opposition having said it did not recognize the Constituent Assembly, created earlier this year, which it regards as an attempt by President Nicolas Maduro to override the opposition-controlled National Assembly.
The fact that the opposition governors accepted to be sworn in deepened divisions within the opposition, with one of its leaders, Henrique Capriles, announcing that he was leaving the opposition alliance Democratic Unity Roundtable (MUD) on Tuesday.
The Zulia legislature, where Maduro supporters have a majority, took the decision to cancel Guanipa’s election behind closed doors, without allowing journalists to be present, regional legislator Eliseo Fermin said.
The decision could lead to a new election in the oil-rich state, according to analysts.
UN panel blames Syrian forces for deadly sarin attack in April
NEW YORK — Syrian President Bashar Assad’s government was behind a deadly chemical attack that killed scores of civilians in a rebel-held village last April, an investigative panel said in a report to the United Nations Security Council.
The April 4 attack on the village of Khan Sheikhoun killed more than 80 people and injured almost 300 others, according to a report Thursday by a panel of investigators known as the Joint Investigative Mechanism. In June, investigators from the Organization for the Prohibition of Chemical Weapons said the attack probably involved the use of sarin, a lethal nerve agent, or similar toxic weapons. But that agency isn’t authorized to conclude who’s responsible for the use of banned chemicals.
After the attack, as images of dying children gasping for air circulated in the media, the U.S. placed blame on the Syrian military while also accusing Russia, which backs Assad’s government, of pushing a “false narrative” that rebel forces were behind the incident. In an early test of his administration, U.S. President Donald Trump ordered dozens of cruise missile strikes on the Shayrat airfield from which the jet fighters had launched.
The attack on the town crossed “many, many lines, beyond red lines,” Trump said at the time.
Assad’s government has repeatedly denied the charges.
Distributed by Tribune Content Agency, LLC.